Land Clearing

Click here to find out why it's so important.

Click any image for a larger view.
 

Let us improve your land

Cedar trees are beautiful but they can grow in fast and thick – let us clear and improve your land.

Safely remove unwanted cedar from your property

If your land has an abundance of cedar trees you do not want, we can remove them safely and responsibly.

Improve your land through responsible clearing

Cedar trees tend to grow in thickly. Young growth in particular is dense, multi-trunked, and shallow-rooted. This can lead to several problems for land owners who do not want the abundance of cedar trees on their property.

If you have a thick growth of cedar trees on your land, having it cleared can:
          • Improve spring flow
          • Improve stream flow
          • Support increased grass growth
          • Support increased growth of other types of trees and plants

Trust our hand clearing practices to protect your property

Traditional clearing of trees using heavy equipment may be fast, but it can also be extremely destructive and leave your land damaged nearly beyond repair. It is also hard on the environment and diminishes the usefulness of the cleared lumber.

You can have confidence that we clear your land safely, responsibly, and with respect to both your land and to the cedar wood we are harvesting. Environmental consciousness and sustainability are important to us and we approach each clearing project with this spirit.

For areas that are too small to safely accommodate equipment, or delicate projects, we use hand clearing techniques. These are gentler and safer in many applications, leaving your land primed for further improvement and the lumber ready for use.

Call today to schedule land clearing services.
830-739-2444

 

Why should you remove cedar from your property?

Cedar juniper significantly alters the composition and structure of rangeland plant communities. Increasing density of cedar reduces grazeable areas for livestock and many species of wildlife because of its low forage value. It significantly reduces the production and diversity of associated plant species according to research conducted by Texas A & M University.1

According to research done by Keith Owens (A&M Experimental Station at Uvalde), there are two different issues to be considered with cedar: (1) loss of water by interception and evaporation and (2) loss of water by transpiration.

The scale-like cedar needles presumably capture rainfall and hold moisture in the needles. Supposedly cedar canopies can intercept 45% percent of rainfall, most of which can be lost through evaporation. Because so much of the Edwards Plateau is covered by cedar, this has important implications for hydrologists trying to estimate recharge based on rainfall. A smaller amount of water falling on cedar is funneled by stem flow to the root system. The contribution of the stem-flow water to groundwater recharge was not determined.2

According to a study done by Texas A & M Institute of Renewable Natural Resources and Grazingland Management Systems, Inc. done in 2008 the control of cedar on an acre of land is estimated to result in 0.167 added ac.ft. of groundwater recharge per year.3 (Note 0.167 ac.ft of water equals 54,417.2 gallons)

Why let us cut the cedar posts instead of just bulldozing and burning it?

When you bulldoze and burn the cedar there is so much cedar that burning it will kill the Live Oak trees. If you let me cut the posts we will remove 70% of the bulk thereby leaving only 30% to burn. In other words where you could have 10 piles of cedar with 100,000 pounds in each pile if you bulldozed it you would only have 3 piles if 100,000 pounds to burn if I cut the posts before you piled it.

Also I would make a financial agreement with you that would be beneficial to both of us.

1 http://texnat.tamu.edu/library/symposia/juniper-ecology-and-management/biology-and-ecology-of-ashe-juniper/
2 http://npsot.org/wp/story/2010/1393/
3 http://www.texas-wildlife.org/files/publications/influences_of_conservation_on_water_yield.pdf